Malaysia: the Arrival

What a trip! It took me a while to verify my time off and it took me a little bit longer to actually part with the ever increasing cost of the plane ticket. In the end, Malaysia was a trip of a lifetime for me.

We arrived in the darkness of early morning. Customs was like customs in most other places. I passed passport control and then went to wait for my luggage. After my luggage was secured, I passed out of the controlled area to find my friend waiting for me on the other side. My friend and I had been talking online for a couple of years but this was the first time that she and I had met in person. I recognized her easily and we were able to converse as though we had known each other in person for this time. Little did I know what fate would have in store for the two of us during the course of that fortnight.

Getting around was rather easy. There is an express train from the Airport to downtown Kuala Lumpur. From here, one can transfer to the other light rail options to get around town. The train left the airport and I caught my first glimpse of Malaysia from the windows. It was very green, which was a welcome change from whence I came. Indeed, I had left Fort Worth after an ice storm and I could not be more excited to be in warmer weather for a bit.

The goal at first was to get home, get showered and settled, and then to stay awake until it was a proper time to sleep at local time (+14 hours from Fort Worth). Later on we went to the KLCC, which is the mall between and below the two landmark Petronas Towers. Malls provide a wonderful escape from the heat and I ducked into the KLCC quite a few times while hanging out in Kuala Lumpur.

On one side of the towers is a fountain and park where my friend and I walked and talked a bit. When the azhan sounded for prayer, she led me to the mosque in the mall where I could pray. This was a feature of life that I really enjoyed in Malaysia: every mall and public space had a mosque which really facilitated me undertaking that obligation when I was out and about.

On the other side of the KLCC, we went to a really nice cafe called RAW. Here they roast their single sourced beans with a diedrich roaster, which means that the coffee is about as fresh as it gets. I had a regular coffee to boost my energy amidst jet lag, of course it is also my common reference point for cafes to begin with. My friend had a red latte, which. The red latte was a latte made of rooibos tea that seemed to be quite popular around there.

After a driving tour of downtown with my friend and her sister, we went home. With every intention to go to bed early, what started as a chat over ginger tea became a long conversation lasting until 2 A.M. Even though I had been awake for several days straight (over 50 hours at that point), I hardly noticed how late it had become. We parted ways and I collapsed on my bed, exhausted. Thus ended Day 1 in Malaysia.

One thought on “Malaysia: the Arrival

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s